justicia for migrant workers
Migrant farm workers stage wildcat strike to demand thousands of dollars in unpaid wages: Employer responds with deportation
- Responsable institusyon
Justicia for migrant workers
- Mga Tala
Over a 100 migrant farm workers employed at Ghesquiere Plants Ltd. are facing imminent repatriation (deportation) after staging a wildcat strike to demanding thousands of dollars in unpaid wages.
The migrant workers from Mexico, Jamaica, Trinidad and Barbados came together across racial, linguistic and ethnic lines to organize this wild cat strike and strengthen their collective power.
• Workers are each owed from $1000 to $6000 in unpaid wages
• Workers are to be evicted and will be homeless as of Thursday, November 25th, 2010
• Most of the Mexican and Trinidadian workers will be repatriated by this Thursday. All Jamaican
workers have been repatriated.
• Electricity and heat has been cut off in one bunk
• Deplorable and very crowed living conditions
wildcat strike (http://j4mw.tumblr.com/post/1665403047/simcoe-on-migrant-farm-workers-stage-wildcat-strike)
- Pang-ekonomiyang sektor
Agriculture and horticulture workers
- Geographical kaugnayan
Estados Unidos, Iba pang mga Lalawigan, Timog Amerika, Asya, Tsina, Pilipinas, Colombia, Ekwador, Bangladesh, India, Thailand, Vietnam, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Peru, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Pakistan, Malaysia, Regional relevance, Regional relevance, and Cambodia