- Date and time
2014.11.20, 7:00 PM
Lynne Fernandez, on the Manitoba Worker Recruitment & Protection Act
• Lynne is a member of the Manitoba Migrant Workers Solidarity Network
and Errol Black Chair on Labour Issues at the Manitoba Office of the
Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives
• Lorina Seraficio, Vancouver Committee for Domestic Workers &
Caregivers Rights (CDWCR).
• Paul Finch, Treasurer, BC Government Employees Union.
• Ai Li Lim, Westcoast Domestic Workers Association (WDWA).
• Irene Lanzinger, Secretary-Treasurer, BC Federation of Labour.
• Gil Aguilar, Migrant Workers Dignity Association.
• Joey Hartman, President, Vancouver & District Labour Council.
The growing reliance of employers on the use of temporary foreign workers for both temporary/seasonal and permanent jobs in a variety of service, agricultural and manufacturing sectors, the abuses of TFW programs by employers, and the abuses of migrant workers at the hands of employers and their lack of basic rights and protections, continues to generate a lively public debate. A diversity of views and prescriptions for change to the TFW programs calls for a discussion to arrive at common ground for a public policy campaign that best represents the interests of Canadian and foreign workers.
SFU Harbour Centre Room 7000 (7th Floor)
515 West Hastings Street
- Economic sectors
Agriculture and horticulture workers, Occupations in services - Domestic work, Natural resources, agriculture and related production occupations - general, Home child care providers, Home support workers, housekeepers and related occupations, and General farm workers
- Target groups
(Im)migrants workers, Researchers, Unions, and NGOs/community groups/solidarity networks
- Geographical focuses
British Columbia and National relevance